Monday, May 17, 2010

Painter's Block




Similar to that of a writer, I think I have "painter's block." Not too long ago I completed a commissioned painting and found it difficult because the subject matter was specific to the recipient and trying for my soul (See above). So I vowed not to do anymore commissioned pieces and to only create art that would feed my soul... I have done it again, I am doing a specifically themed painting that is not me. I am forcing myself to work on it, actually it should have been done and sent out. If someone wasn't expecting it, I would paint over it. The more I dread working on the painting the more blocked I feel. There is no inspiration or joy, and I am second guessing everything; my style of painting, colors, the composition, and even the size of the canvas. My confidence has gotten up and left. I am creating a black cloud over the painting and I have to stop this! Today, I am going to tidy up my studio space, and put my easel in a different spot, this will change the energy in the room and make that black cloud disappear. Then I will set out my favorite paint brushes and colors I love to use and hold an amethyst stone in my left hand (I find it opens me to creativity and great ideas). Then I will look at the painting with love and be thankful that I get to do this as a living and know that people are waiting for it, either to be inspired or moved by the colors or subject matter. It is not about us, we are a vessel for this inspiration and creativity to flow through, and by giving this finished gift to the world we are uplifting humankind.

-Deborah Langlois

No comments:

Post a Comment